Allo is a new messaging app that also comes complete with the Google assistant, so you can interact with it directly in your chats, either one-on-one or with friends. Because the assistant understands your world, you can ask for things like your agenda for the day or photos from your last trip. If you’re planning a dinner with friends, you can ask the assistant to suggest restaurants nearby, all in one thread.
Allo is meant to make your conversations easier and more expressive. It’s based on your phone number (similar to Whatsapp then), so you can get in touch with anyone in your phonebook. And with deeply integrated machine learning, Allo has smart features to keep your conversations flowing and help you get things done.
- Smart Reply, which suggests responses to messages based on context, and comes with fun ways to make your chats more expressive.
- Emojis, stickers, and the ability to get creative with photos.
- Incognito mode that provides end-to-end encryption, discreet notifications, and message expiration.
- Smart Reply – so you can respond to messages without typing a single word. Smart Reply learns over time and will show suggestions that are in your style and it also works with photos, providing intelligent suggestions related to the content of the photo.
- Google assistant, bringing the richness of Google directly into your chats—helping you find information, get things done, and have fun. You can chat one-on-one with the assistant, or call on Google in a group chat with friends.
Duo is a simple, fast one-to-one video calling app for everyone—whether you’re on Android or iOS, a fast or slow connection, in New York or New Delhi. Like Allo, Duo is based on your phone number, allowing you to reach anyone in your phonebook. And its simple interface fades away when you’re in a call, so it’s just the two of you.
- Knock Knock – shows you a live video preview of the caller before you pick up. Knock Knock invites you into the moment, making calls feel spontaneous and fun. Once you answer, Duo seamlessly transitions you right into the call.
- HD video (up to 720p) and audio. Optimized Duo to work well even on spotty networks, so if bandwidth is limited it gracefully adjusts quality so you’re still able to connect.
- Duo was built with privacy and security in mind and all calls on Duo are end-to-end encrypted.
Both Allo and Duo will be available this summer on Android and iOS.